The Careers Leader role is an exciting middle-senior leadership position, with the potential to impact the lives of every student in a school or college. It is a complex role that requires training to develop specialist careers knowledge as well as skills in leadership, management, coordination and networking. The Careers & Enterprise Company has developed this 12-hour online course in partnership with Teach First, in order to support Careers Leaders, or those interested in the role, who are unable to access face-to-face training. It provides an introduction to the essential knowledge, skills and key resources a Career Leader requires to plan to improve career guidance in their school or college, deliver against the Gatsby Benchmarks, and fulfil the core requirements of their role.
By the end of the five modules of online study, you will have:
- Outlined a career guidance development plan that supports your school or college to achieve the Gatsby Benchmarks.
- Identified how they will lead others to deliver, refine and quality assure the career guidance development plan.
- Outlined a plan to manage your own development as a Careers Leader.
The learning outcomes are delivered through a course preparation unit and five learning modules:
- Course Preparation
- Module 1: Reviewing Your School or College Provision Against the Gatsby Benchmarks
- Module 2: Developing Your Careers Programme
- Module 3: Maximising Internal Resources
- Module 4: Managing External Partners
- Module 5: Pulling it All Together in a Plan
The course is designed for anyone interested in Careers Leadership, and no matter what your starting point, you should find relevant content and activities. It is available to all and is self-paced. Each module supports the Careers Leader to build a plan to achieve the Gatsby Benchmarks.
At the end of the course, you will be supported to identify next steps in your learning, for example, face to face learning and accredited opportunities. You may also wish to use this online programme to supplement or in preparation for a face to face learning course.
Some of the experts you will hear from in this course:
Careers Leader: Abbey and Stanhope School
Careers Leader: Sunderland College
Careers Leader: Brookfields Specialist SEN School
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What web browser should I use?
The platform works best with current versions of Chrome, Firefox or Safari, or with Internet Explorer version 9 and above. See our list of supported browsers for the most up-to-date information.
2. Who should take this module?
Careers Leaders, or those interested in the role.
3. How long will it take me to complete the course?
It takes approximately two hours to complete the core content for each module.
Once you are enrolled in the course, you can work through the content at your own pace. Feel free to access any part of the content at any time. You will need to complete all the core activities in each module successfully in order to receive badges and a certificate.